Valentine’s Day is approaching so quickly! In previous years, I haven’t able to organize myself beyond a little note taped to a PayDay — they are my boyfriend’s favorite, but still. There are so many great projects trickling in, and I want to get a head start so I can make them all! First on the list is this adorable crochet heart garland from of .
Molly designed these little hearts for Christmas gifts a few years ago, and they were a huge success with their recipients. Taking inspiration from the crochet necklaces by Wren Handmade, she designed this delicate garland of hearts for stringing up around the house. Molly has a few hanging in her home, and she says they add a little extra love and joy to each day. I will need to polish up on my crochet skills for this, but the pattern seems easy to learn and the results well worth the work! Thanks for sharing, Molly! —
If you love this idea but cannot complete the project in time for Valentine’s Day, don’t fret! Molly has some of the garlands available for purchase in her .
CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!
- fine crochet thread (20 to 30 gauge) in red and ecru
- size 10 crochet hook
For the hearts:
1. Crochet 12 hearts using red crochet thread:
- To begin, Chain 2.
- Row 1: 2 single crochet (sc) in first chain. Chain 1, turn.
- Row 2: 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next stitch. Chain 1, turn.
- Rows 3 to 6: 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in each remaining stitch. Chain 1, turn.
- After row 6, you will have 7 stitches.
- Row 7: Skip first stitch. In second stitch: 1 half double crochet, three double crochet, 1 half double crochet. Skip one stitch, slip stitch in next stitch. Skip one stitch. In next stitch: 1 half double crochet, three double crochet, 1 half double crochet. Skip one stitch, slip stitch in next stitch.
2. To finish the hearts, slip the stitch down one side of the heart, approximately 6 slip stitches to the bottom. Chain 1 at the bottom of the heart, and slip stitch up the other side of the heart. Slip stitch to first chain of row 7. Fasten off and weave in tails.
For the garland:
1. Create garland using ecru crochet thread:
- Chain 40, *slip stitch to the top of the right lobe of one heart (though the back of the chain only). Chain 5, slip stitch to the left lobe of the heart. Chain 40*.
- Repeat from * to * above until all hearts are attached to the garland, ending with chain 40.
2. Fasten off, leaving small tails at either end for stringing up the garland.