Few household helpers are as recognizable or reliable as the Fiskars orange handled scissors; they’re definitely a Design*Sponge staple for any project large, small and anything in between. When we discovered Fiskars was creating a line of for home décor and DIY projects, we were thrilled and more than a little bit curious. It’s only fitting that a company established all the way back in 1649 as an ironworks business would be the same institution to re-invent common tools to make them even more versatile because of their thoughtful design. Think lightweight, ergonomic and improvements on scale and handling. These updated pieces are game-changers for all makers, designers and DIYers who like to take on home decor projects..
As a lifelong creative, I’ve struggled to find appropriate sized tools for certain projects, especially in the hammer category. Oftentimes the weight of a hammer has been way too cumbersome for a more delicate project and, by the time I was finished using the wrong weight hammer, my poor forearm muscles would be sore beyond belief. As a full set, these new Fiskars tools are so much more appropriate for DIY projects than their hardware store counterparts. Fiskars spent some serious time and thought on this line’s design process, and it shows. This line is a gift to the artistic process.
We’re excited to introduce now — right before the holidays, since they’re likely to get some use in the DIY gift making process and make the perfect gift for your crafty friends and family members. Read on for a list of my personal favorites from this magnificent collection – may this help inspire you to create some gorgeous DIY holiday gifts and even elevate your home décor during this festive season! —Margaret
P.S. Check out the package that came with Fiskars’ new tools!
– Recently, I created some brass hangings for an art show. To get a textured effect, most of the cut pieces were hammered. Good grief, my forearms would have been a lot happier had I used the 12oz hammer from Fiskars. This beautiful tool has no-slip grip zones and offers not one but two (!) hand positions to offer the most comfort during any project.
- Efficient and precise with hammering nails into walls due to Softgrip control.
- Hammering brass or copper for home décor projects.
– Have your fingers been the victims of a hammer strike meant for a nail? The nail starter removes the risk of injuring your fingers, ensuring efficient and pain-free project time! This is a no-brainer safety piece that everyone should own.
- Keeps nails in place on wall when hammering them so your fingers stay safe.
–I’ve used a fair share of staple guns. They’re clunky, awkward and unnecessarily heavy. More than once, I’ve just shut my eyes when pulling the trigger, hoping for the best. This particular model eliminates the extra kickback that staple guns are often synonymous with, keeping hand fatigue far away.
- Great for stapling wood, fabric, canvas and other materials. Has replaceable Fiskars brand staples, but also accepts other brand staples.
– Can someone say MacGyver? To me, that’s exactly what this screwdriver is. It includes two Phillips screwdriver heads, two flathead screwdriver heads AND two integrated hex ends — all stored inside the length of itself! The nonslip grip ensures efficiency as well. Capable of rotating while using, the screwdriver gives superior leverage ability to the maker. This tool also helps to minimize clutter as this is a multipurpose instrument and has dual functioning screw-heads.
– Question: Anyone else guilty of casting aside a level to ensure the shelves or large framed piece of art you just hung are even on the wall? Answer: EVERYONE IS GUILTY OF THIS HEINOUS ACT. Enter the Precision Level. This gorgeous instrument boasts magnetic strips and hang holes for easy use and storage. It also has three vials, and measures 9” with a top-view window (which I drool over!) offering precise leveling and angling. I didn’t know how jazzed I could get over a level – but guess what? I’m a beautiful work in progress – and this level helps me see things on an even playing field.
- Use to assist centering a piece of work by using the top-view window which allows the maker to see and plot angles during installation process of projects.
– Can one fawn over handsaws? Because I did. This compact super tool measuring at 7” has a thin and strong triple-ground blade enabling it to glide through materials like cardboard, wood – even thicker dowels! An impressive touch is the safety sheath it is protected by when not in use features both metric and English measurements. HOW FANTASTIC!
- Aids any larger-than-average home DIY project.
- Slices through large dowels and even rougher DIY materials such as dried pieces of driftwood and branches.
– All of us at one point or another have been viciously attacked by our tape measures. Thanks to this reimagined 16’ beauty, the torture can stop. This updated measurement tool has an intuitive tape release button for easy – dare I say gentle – resetting as well as non-glare tape with measurements both metric and English. It also has incredible grip so there’s no worry about it slipping from your grasp! One of my favorite details? Not only does it have a belt clip, it also has – wait for it – a lanyard! I’m telling you, the lanyard feature is a GAME CHANGER.
— This could very well be the most versatile tool in the Fiskars DIY Precision Tool line. These 8-inch scissors have curved blades which optimize the user’s strength, not to mention gives up to 2 times more power when cutting. The stainless steel blades can cut through tougher materials easily, and get this – has a serrated edge! Goodbye to slippery materials getting the better of you or your scissors. Once in the jaws of this tough cookie, nothing’s wiggling out of its grasp! The grip of these handsome shears make it ultra comfy to use and comes with a protection case so you can safely travel and store them when needed.
– Conjure up the image of a hot knife gliding through a stick of cold butter – so easy, so smooth, so effortless. So too are the snips with rough materials: thick leather, burlap, chipboard – even metal up to 12 gauge thickness. These magical snips are able to fit into tight spots because of the Micro-Tip blade, all the while the curves of the handles give you ultimate control and the softgrip ergonomic handles ensure the most accurate and decisive cuts through whatever project you’re working on – big or small.
- These snips help preserve energy to those wielding, offering up to 40% more cutting power due to its curved blades.
— What sets the Fiskars’ needle nose pliers apart is the Softgrip handles that keep your hand in a steady place and give you more power while eliminating muscle soreness/fatigue. The genius detail of small, grooved teeth in the mouth of this tool ensures that whatever object you’re grasping, it will remain in-place for the duration of your project!
— This piece of equipment is cord-free and manually operated, so the hand-cranked drill speed is determined completely by the user. It boasts a keyless chuck for easier bit adjustments and a fold-down handle. The extended handle with Softgrip, ensures maximum control and stability. Four standard drill bits are included. **This tool will be available in late November. All of the other tools are now available!
- Capable of aiding in the building of furniture, hanging home décor and artwork and is able to drill through drywall, laminate wood and more.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with , a brand with DIY & craft tools we use ourselves. Thanks for supporting brands who support Design*Sponge and help us bring you original content every weekday.